Clarksburg is the county seat of Harrison County. When Harrison County was created from Monongalia County by an act of the Virginia Assembly in 1784, it extended the Maryland line to the Ohio River, as far north as to include part of Marion County and as far south as to include all of the Little Kanawha and portions of the waters of the Greater Kanawha River.
It was named in honor of Benjamin Harrison who was Governor of Virginia from 1781 to 1784 and father of General William Henry Harrison.Over the years, the boundaries of the county were changed numerous times until the present county boundaries were described in 1871.
Located approximately 10 miles via Route 19 from Clarksburg. This small town of 2,500 began in 1778 when Levi Shinn built a two-story log cabin that still stands on its original site. This home/museum is open to the public at certain times. The town's location is the southern terminus of the West Fork River Rail Trail. [See Parks & Trails for more details.]
Benjamin Lowe House is located at 20 Bridge Street, and built before 1877 and enlarged in the mid-1800's, this house has a marked resemblance to the Abraham Lincoln house in Springfield, Illinois. It now serves as the city's library.
Dr. Emory Strickler House is located at 99 West Main Street. On October 23, 1889 Willa Hood, the first woman pharmacist of West Virginia, married Dr. E. W. Strickler at the Big Elm Farm. They lived here and the house was later occupied by his daughter, Mrs. Charles Watkins.
Wamsley House is located on Route 19 north of Shinnston. It was built between 1775 and 1800 by Revolutionary War veteran, David Wamsley. Acquired in the 1840s by Richard Everson, who's daughter was the Daughter of the Elm, in Granville Davisson Halls book of the same name.
Originally named "Fort New Salem", it is now home to an historical recreation of what the town was like in the 16th century. It was originally erected to serve as a laboratory for students enrolled in the Heritage Arts Division of Salem College.
Now named Salem International University, the fort and grounds around it was donated to a foundation that oversees the fort and its activities. The Fort is open during certain times of the year to the public.
Salem Seventh Day Baptist Church and Cemetery This church, built in 1901, is the third church building on the site, the first log church having been erected in 1795. About 20 yards into the middle of the cemetery is the grave marker of Samuel Fitz Randolph, founder of Salem who died in 1825.
Salem Depot & Entertainment/Festival Grounds Two restored cabooses are on the grounds of the restored train depot in the center of town. With the rails to trails running through the center, it is a great location for the annual Salem Apple Butter Festival held the first week of October. A covered pavilion and a large covered stage area provide a background for year-round activities including Picking and Grinning evenings among locals.
This year round shop is home to many West Virginia artisans who offer their wares plus offer classes and conduct school tours. During their annual special events, hands-on demonstrations are a showcase of the local talent.
In addition to the show, this location is the site of the CCC Camp Memorabilia. The CCC, Civilian Conservation Corps, celebrated its 75th anniversary this year and the Quiet Dell CCC Museum and showcased artifacts from the nine-year period the CCC 1933 to 1942.
The CCC program gave work to more than 3 million enrollees during the depth of the Depression. There were more than 1,600 camps throughout the United States including 67 in West Virginia. The men in CCC camps did environmental improvement projects from fighting forest fires, building bridges and roads to building state parks.
A large percentage of its 532 acres were part of a farm that was in production until the park opened in the late 1940s. Many of its structures were built without nails or wooden pegs but held together only by notched corners. Watching the video and looking at historic items in the visitor center will help provide background to your self-guided tour of the historic buildings the barn, corncrib, hog pen, woodworking shop, and of course, the 1876 farmhouse filled with some original furnishings.
Opened during summer months, (check at the visitor center for other times) other park amenities include picnic facilities, playgrounds, hiking, biking and equestrian trails. The operating Foundation has a small mountain crafts show in which some real treasures, at bargain prices, can be found.
Voted one of "America's Best Small Towns to Live". This quaint small village is just a short distance from Watters Smith State Park. One home worth mentioning is the Daniel Bassel home. Built about 1860 at the Main Street intersection, this house is the oldest in Lost Creek. Beautiful oak and walnut trim for this house had been cut and partially installed when Union soldiers commandeered the lumber to use as firewood. After numerous letters to President Lincoln, Bassel was reimbursed.
Greater Clarksburg Convention & Visitors Bureau
321 West Main Street
Clarksburg WV. 26301
For information on Greater Clarksburg and surrounding areas please fill in the form below